- Interneti yashyizwe ku mirenge y’icyaro irafasha abaturage ~ featured, Internet, Kinyarwanda 19 May, at 07 : 01 AM
- Telecoms lead internet access for households by 81 percent- survey ~ English, featured, Internet 29 Mar, at 07 : 15 AM
- Tigo Customers to get free internet on weekends ~ English, featured, Internet 27 Jan, at 16 : 49 PM
- Nyamasheke: Bashinja MTN n’ubuyobozi gusoza manda batabonye internet bemerewe ~ featured, Internet, Kinyarwanda 15 Jan, at 06 : 35 AM
- Nyabihu: Local leaders get smart phones ~ English, featured, Internet 22 Dec, at 11 : 44 AM
8 December, at 21 : 07 PM Print
Tigo has increased its bandwidth to offer download speeds that are twice that of MTN just in time for Tigo to start competing on the “unlimited” field.
Last week, Tigo began offering unlimited packages for 800 Rwf per day and power users have seen their internet cost cut in half overnight.
But while tablet users (iPad) are a fast growing sector of the Rwanda internet user market, tablets are largely being excluded from the unlimited bundle fiesta because neither MTN or Tigo have figured a way to activate their bundle prodcuts on iPAds.
While Tigo has made an impressive bandwith upgrade that will help Rwanda to compete with neighboring countries on download speed for consumers, their upload speed is still very low and their users along with MTN users find it nearly impossible to publish parge amounts of data on the web.
So while Rwanda internet users are finding it easier to get content, it is still as difficult as ever for people in the country to produce and publish that content and have their voice heard on the web.