- Television zo mu mirenge n’utugari zirabafasha gukurikirana CHAN ~ Community, featured, Kinyarwanda 22 Jan, at 05 : 22 AM
- Saint André College student wins Airtel motorcycle ~ Community, English, featured 12 Oct, at 13 : 09 PM
- « House of Technology », nouvelle méthode d’enseigner les sciences par vidéoprojecteur ~ Community, featured, French 14 Aug, at 15 : 53 PM
- Mushishiro: Abaturage ngo ntibazongera gukora ingendo bagiye kureba amakuru ~ Community, featured, Kinyarwanda 17 Jul, at 16 : 39 PM
- Airtel’s 500 percent airtime bonus receives lukewarm reception ~ English, featured, News 27 Jun, at 15 : 26 PM
18 February, at 06 : 25 AM Print
Umutoniwase Gloria a student waiting for the lecturer at CMU-R
The evening of this year’s Valentine day (14th February 2012) marked a new beginning for Rwanda’s academia. Carnegie Mellon University-Rwanda began offering its first and historical class on an African soil at Kacyiru hill, one of Rwanda’s a thousand hills.
Professor Michel Bézy, an IBM expert for 25 years, supporter of Africa with his blog Africa Oye and professor at CMU’s Engineering department, is to lecture CMU-R’s first course named “strategic uses of digital information” which will be followed by other courses “Building mobile services for emerging markets” and “Introduction to market planning” in March and April 2012 respectively.
According to Michel, the first course which has 11 students will examine how to use massive amounts of continuous data to assist enterprises in making intelligent business decision.
“The professional development short courses will be followed by a master’s program beginning in August 2012. The Master of Science in Information Technology is expected to prepare the next generation of technology managers and innovators through a multidisciplinary curriculum that covers key topics in ICT, such as mobile applications, information security and networking, and software management, as well as critical business areas such as finance, operations and entrepreneurship.” Read the CMU-R’s press release
Director of CMU-R Professor Bruce Krogh said that CMU-R is to provide learning materials and degrees equivalent to those offered by CMU Pittsburg.
CMU-R signed a partnership agreement with the government of Rwanda represented by His Excellency Paul Kagame in September 2011 at CMU Pittsburg. The Rwandan government has also offered a 50% scholarship to every student who will meet requirements of being admitted at CMU-R.