- Television zo mu mirenge n’utugari zirabafasha gukurikirana CHAN ~ Community, featured, Kinyarwanda 22 Jan, at 05 : 22 AM
- Saint André College student wins Airtel motorcycle ~ Community, English, featured 12 Oct, at 13 : 09 PM
- « House of Technology », nouvelle méthode d’enseigner les sciences par vidéoprojecteur ~ Community, featured, French 14 Aug, at 15 : 53 PM
- Mushishiro: Abaturage ngo ntibazongera gukora ingendo bagiye kureba amakuru ~ Community, featured, Kinyarwanda 17 Jul, at 16 : 39 PM
- Airtel’s 500 percent airtime bonus receives lukewarm reception ~ English, featured, News 27 Jun, at 15 : 26 PM
14 June, at 06 : 35 AM Print
As use of mobile phones increases from not only calling and texting, the number of mobile phones users in Rwanda has continuously increased seeing April 2012, register a 1.2percent increase as of RURA, Rwanda Regulatory Utilities Regulatory Agency’s recently released statistics.
Mobile phone users’ number increased from 4,453,711 to 4,508,666 as April 2012 records. These statistics exclude the newly launched telecom company in Rwanda, Airtel Rwanda, which if added the number is expected to appear much bigger.
RURA Managing Director says that with consideration of entrance of Airtel into the telecom market, RURA looks forward to having 6 million mobile phone users come December 2012 which will be equivalent to a 60percent penetration rate.
Currently the mobile penetration rate is at 42percent with MTN Rwanda boasting with a 2,952,262 number of subscribers and Tigo Rwanda with 1,556,404 subscribers.
A lot of factors attribute to the continued increase in number of mobile phone users some of which are the increased number of services offered by the telecom companies and the government’s effort to make Rwanda an ICT hub.