- Airtel to facilitate businesses through its business product ~ Business, English, featured 4 Mar, at 14 : 29 PM
- Telecoms respond to one area network ‘slashing’ Call tariffs, SMS ~ Business, English, featured 8 Aug, at 17 : 35 PM
- Tigo announces 2015 digital Change makers’ competition ~ Business, English, featured 10 Jul, at 11 : 09 AM
- MTN, Western Union in new payment service ~ Business, English, featured 8 Jul, at 10 : 05 AM
- Airtel, third largest operator in the world ~ Business, English, featured 1 Jul, at 10 : 01 AM
19 December, at 11 : 58 AM Print
Though it’s been a year since the government of Rwanda privatized telecentres all over the country; IT centres in western province seem to be less productive.
This comes after 10 employees of all telecentres in seven districts of this province reported John Gatera to Karongi Police over denying them their salaries for a full year.
John Gatera is the owner of ‘Good Neighbors’ company that is in charge of Rwanda Information Technology centres in Western Province.
Bosco Karenzi, one of the technicians at ‘Good Neighbors’ says they decided to inform the police after their boss refused to pay them for almost a year.
Though the reporter could not talk to Karenzi on these allegations, it is said that Good Neighbors Company owes Karenzi close to Rwf1.000.000.
Ever since the government handed telecentres administration to entrepreneurs, residents are ever complaining of the poor services from these centres, which only worsen rather than improving.
Because of insufficient service delivery in these centres, residents in Karongi district line up at the only Internet café in town which has three computers and high prices.
Using internet for one hour in Karongi is Rwf600 while it’s between Rwf200 and 300 in Kigali City and scanning services are Rwf500 while it’s Rwf100 in Kigali.
Also there are other internet services at Business Development Centre by RDB but residents do not go to this place which is a bit far. This is evidence that ITC services are very much needed in Karongi district and Western Province in general.