- Airtel’s 500 percent airtime bonus receives lukewarm reception ~ English, featured, News 27 Jun, at 15 : 26 PM
- MTN appoints Shuter as new president and CEO ~ English, featured, News 20 Jun, at 14 : 35 PM
- Motorola Could Intervene in Rwanda’s Smart Cities Project ~ English, featured 8 Jun, at 14 : 43 PM
- Airtel wins global telecommunication business award ~ English, featured, News 1 Jun, at 14 : 41 PM
- Germans Close Business in Rwanda After Half Century Lease Expires ~ English, featured 31 May, at 13 : 37 PM
20 November, at 08 : 14 AM Print
MTN Rwanda has launched a new mobile money service product that will make it easy for its clients to transact business and send money easily.
The new Ericsson Converged Wallet will be an additional initiative by MTN, Rwanda’s leading mobile telecommunication, to respond to the increasing client base which has now hit over 3.3million..
Mobile penetration in Rwanda has hit 63.7% and over 1.7 million subscribers were registered on the mobile money platform by March this year according to Rwanda Regulatory Authority (RURA) statistics.
The figure was at 639,000 mobile money subscribers at the end of last year, with MTN Rwanda having pushed over Rwf90 billion through the platform.
The MTN- Ericsson mobile wallet move comes just a few days after Bharti Airtel (in conjunction with RSwitch and I&M Bank) launched the first mobile money transaction services through automated teller machines (ATMs).
Ericsson is providing MTN with a flexible, reliable and efficient m-commerce solution that includes Ericsson Converged Wallet, systems integration and operational support. With Ericsson Converged Wallet, MTN can seamlessly launch new offers and bundles that integrate telecom prepaid services with mobile money services.
Bjorn Engstrom, Head of M-commerce at Ericsson says that this is a major breakthrough which will offer the convenience of m-wallet financial services across the entire MTN subscriber base.
Pieter Verkade, MTN Group Chief Commercial Officer also said that MTN will now respond rapidly to requirements from consumers and merchants and provide reliable services