- Nyabihu: Ikoranabuhanga n’iterambere byahinduye ubuzima mu imyaka 20 ishize ~ Community, English, featured 26 Jul, at 18 : 27 PM
- The Rush for ‘Smart Kigali’ ~ English, featured 6 Jun, at 09 : 19 AM
- MTN introduces free Wikipedia for clients ~ English, featured 6 Jun, at 07 : 26 AM
- How hard it is to recover a stolen phone in Rwanda ~ English, featured 30 May, at 09 : 03 AM
- Samsung extends technology access to Bugesera ~ English, featured, Internet 14 May, at 08 : 35 AM
25 February, at 10 : 32 AM Print
A subsidiary of Millicom ‘Tigo’ has announced the launch of a pioneering cross-border Mobile Money remittance service between Tanzania and Rwanda.
The service was launched simultaneously in Kigali and Dar-es-Salaam Yesterday Monday 24th February 2014 in the presence of Rwandan High Commissioner in Tanzania Dr. Ben Rugangazi and Tanzanian High Commissioner in Rwanda Francis Mwaipaja – all of who undertook the first mobile money transactions between the two countries.
The new service allows Tigo subscribers in Tanzania to send money from their Tigo Pesa accounts to Tigo Cash subscribers in Rwanda and vice versa. The system integrates currency conversion, whereby money is sent in either Tanzania Shillings or Rwandan Francs and delivered already converted into in the currency of the recipient’s country.
To send money from Tigo Pesa (Tanzania) to Tigo Cash (Rwanda) users, customers should dial *150*90# while those in Rwanda remitting to Tanzania should dial *200*7#. This service can be used from any Tigo mobile phone. Customers in their respective countries will receive their money immediately in their routine currency.
This, according to Tigo Tanzania General Manager Diego Gutierrez, is the first product of its kind in the world that allows dual currency international mobile wallet to mobile wallet transfers with currency conversion included.
Once the remittance is received, customers can use the funds to access all the services and benefits that Tigo Mobile Financial Services offer. These include airtime top ups, payments for water, electricity, TV and transportation, transfers to bank accounts, cash withdrawals at any Tigo agent across the country, and convenient transfers to other mobile money users.