- Airtel, third largest operator in the world ~ Business, English, featured 1 Jul, at 10 : 01 AM
- Bloomberg, Imbuto Foundation launch Mobile App for free books ~ English, featured 30 Jun, at 20 : 54 PM
- Airtel Rwanda introduces ‘Tap and Pay Card’ ~ Business, English, featured 26 Jun, at 10 : 04 AM
- MTN Rwanda gets new CEO amid stiff competition ~ Business, English, featured 26 Jun, at 10 : 26 AM
- Rwanda’s leading Telecom ‘MTN’ appoints New CEO ~ English, featured, Mobile 25 Jun, at 14 : 41 PM
6 June, at 07 : 26 AM Print
The partnership between MTN Rwanda and Wikimedia Foundation will boost use of internet to Rwandan subscribers and enable the country to become knowledge-based, service oriented, and private sector led economy.
At the launch ceremony, the Minister of Youth and ICT, Jean Philbert Nsengimana noted that there should be unlimited and affordable access to information which would in turn trigger the innovativeness of Rwandans.
The two organizations entered an agreement which gives MTN customers unlimited access to Wikipedia free of data charges from their mobile devices via MTN mobile internet (2G and 3G).
Wikipedia Zero now extends free mobile access to more than 90 million people in Africa.
“We are proud to provide the millions of MTN customers in communities across Rwanda with access to free information and knowledge which Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, offers”, said MTN’s Chief Executive Officer, Ebenezer Asante.
“Wikipedia Zero is an important component of MTN’s mobile strategy, which focuses on offering access to information and educational content in order to empower Rwanda’s people.” He added.
Minister of Education, Dr. Vincent Biruta says that this platform must be considered by every Rwandan youth as an opportunity ready to be exploited. Wikipedia has a lot of information on almost every subject and topic one may think of,”
Wikipedia has over 1.5 billion pages and with more than 500 million subscribers globally. Now with the zero platform made possible by MTN, Rwandans using the company’s network will access the site freely.