- Airtel’s 500 percent airtime bonus receives lukewarm reception ~ English, featured, News 27 Jun, at 15 : 26 PM
- MTN appoints Shuter as new president and CEO ~ English, featured, News 20 Jun, at 14 : 35 PM
- Motorola Could Intervene in Rwanda’s Smart Cities Project ~ English, featured 8 Jun, at 14 : 43 PM
- Airtel wins global telecommunication business award ~ English, featured, News 1 Jun, at 14 : 41 PM
- Germans Close Business in Rwanda After Half Century Lease Expires ~ English, featured 31 May, at 13 : 37 PM
19 October, at 16 : 47 PM Print
Tigo, the Telecom sector’s second by subscriber base has launched the 4 G LTE internet for smart phones, coming the first operator to offer the service since the launch of the fastest internet in 2014.
The launch ushers yet another milestone in the digital lifestyle in the country where subscribers would be able to take 4G high speed internet with them without interrupting voice service.
“Today’s launch in Rwanda is part of our digital lifestyle drive across Africa to deliver great connectivity and great services for our customers,” said Cynthia Gordon, Executive Vice President, CEO Africa Division, Millicom.
Gordon who was speaking at the launch during the 2015 transform Africa in Kigali on Monday added, “ I am delighted to be in Rwanda to witness an innovation that lights the way towards a digital transformation.”
The move will allow subscribers to be able to have the fastest internet on their mobile phones, something that will boost doing business on the go.
“As Rwanda’s leading Telecommunications and Internet provider, I am delighted that we have attained this milestone,” said Tongai Maramba, General Manager, Tigo Rwanda.
Previously, the 4G LTE internet that has been banked on to usher in technology led economy by 2020 has been accessed on internet enabled gadgets such as modems.
Han-Sung Yoon, Chief Executive Officer of Olleh Rwanda said that Tigo’s launch of 4G LTE on mobile phones is a step towards expanding, the 4G LTE coverage target of 95 percent of the country by 2017.
“ Together, we look forward to providing exceptional digital experience and value to users of 4G services through various innovative solutions,” he noted.
The government is optimistic that the rollout of 4G LTE internet will facilitate the use of internet in service delivery as well as doing business thus improving livelihoods.